Saturday, October 1, 2011

Maki Life

I discovered sushi about a year ago.  Apprehension had always kept me from it at the Chinese buffets and on restaurant menus-- fear of those names I couldn’t pronounce and didn’t understand, the ingredients I could never quite recognize or identify. Somehow, though, I was persuaded to try it one day at a friend’s birthday celebration… and I fell in love. The fusion of textures and flavors was irresistible, and the fact that maki was best eaten in one giant mouthful amused me to no end. 

It's hard to separate the different ingredients of the maki; and if you try, it never turns out quite right. 

Today I read this:
Shout with joy to the LORD, all the earth! Worship the LORD with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy. Acknowledge that the LORD is God! He made us, and we are his. We are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation.  (Psalm 100:1-5, NLT)
Joy and thanks and knowing who God is and knowing who we are-- they're all wrapped up together, inseparable. It’s like maki: you can’t have one without the others. Not truly, anyway.  Each component by itself is good, no doubt; but none are so whole or beautiful alone as rolled into this one magnificent melange.

Maki life... this is the life I long for.

No comments:

Post a Comment